Crown Lands - Land Exchanges
Natural Resources and Energy Development
New Brunswick Crown Lands may be exchanged for privately owned lands with comparable merchantable timber value.
- Applicants must be at least 19 years of age
- Applicants must be the registered owner of the property being offered in exchange for Crown
- Businesses must be registered with Corporate Affairs in New Brunswick and provide a copy of their Certificate of Incorporation.
- Land offered for exchange should:
- help consolidate Crown Land;
- reduce boundary line maintenance; or
- meet at least one of the following criteria:
a) they have more than 50% of their boundary in common with Crown Land;
b) they border on Crown Land and utilize boundaries not requiring periodic maintenance (e.g. roads, rivers) such that the length of boundary requiring maintenance is reduced; or
c) they adjoin other privately owned land located within a major block of Crown Land such that the acquisition would lead to future consolidation of land units
- have clear title that is free of encumbrances and can be obtained by the Crown under the Land Titles Act.
You must be the registered owner of the property being offered and have clear title to your property.
The land offered for exchange must
- offer significant resource features to the Crown such as:
- special wildlife or wetland habitats;
- recreational opportunities;
- coastal habitats;
- ecologically significant areas; or
- access to Crown Lands or water-based resources.
- have market values within 10% of the lands to be exchanged;
- have merchantable timber values within 10% of that of the lands to be exchanged;
- have no associated restrictions imposed on the transfer, which the Department is not prepared to accept; and
- have no known or suspected significant environmental liabilities or contamination.
Changes To Fees
This document provides the rationale supporting changes to fees, associated revenue information, and the legal authority:
Lands Administration Regulation
Unless otherwise specified, Fees exclude the harmonized sales tax (HST).
|Fee Description||Rate in $||Effective Date|
|Administrative Fees (non-refundable + HST)|
|Application Fee = $1,600 for the first 75 hectares (ha) or part thereof + $20 for each additional requested hectare above 75 ha to a maximum total application fee of $2,000||1600.00||2020-07-16|