Close of nominations for municipal byelections20 April 2018
FREDERICTON (GNB) – Byelections will take place in eight municipalities on May 14 following the close of nominations today.
Byelections will take place in:
- Atholville (one councillor for Ward 3);
- Bas-Caraquet (two councillors-at-large);
- Bathurst (one councillor);
- Dieppe (one councillor-at-large);
- Fredericton Junction (one councillor);
- Saint-André (one councillor-at-large);
- St. George (two councillors) and
- Sainte-Marie-Saint-Raphaël (one councillor).
One day of advance voting is scheduled for Saturday May 5. Polls will be open from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m. Election Day is Monday, May 14.
Candidates were elected by acclamation in:
- Bas-Caraquet (Roger R. Chiasson, mayor);
- Fredericton Junction (John Bigger, mayor);
- Grande-Anse (Gilles Thériault, mayor, Denis Savoie, councillor);
- Hartland (Darrin Foster, mayor);
- Kedgwick (Carole Doyle, councillor);
- Pointe-Verte (Maxime Lejeune, councillor); and
- Saint-Léolin (Guy Cormier, mayor, Victor Bertin, councillor).
Following the close of nominations vacancies remained in the municipalities of Florenceville-Bristol and Nackawic. Those positions, and any additional vacancies that may occur, will be included in the next round of municipal byelections scheduled for December.
The list of candidates running in each municipality is available on the Election New Brunswick website on the events tab. Candidates have until 5 p.m. on Monday, April 23 if they wish to withdraw their name.